Don't Mess With Texas (Hotter in Texas #1) - Christie Craig

by - Sunday, February 05, 2012





Nikki Hunt thought her night couldn't get worse when her no-good, cheating ex ditched her at dinner, sticking her with the bill. Then she found his body stuffed in the trunk of her car and lost her two-hundred-dollar meal all over his three-thousand-dollar suit. Now not only is Nikki nearly broke, she's a murder suspect. 

Former cop turned PI, Dallas O'Connor knows what it's like to be unjustly accused. But one look at the sexy-though skittish-suspect tells him she couldn't hurt anyone. The lead detective, Dallas's own brother, has the wrong woman and Dallas hopes a little late-night "undercover" work will help him prove it . . 

With the exception of Cecelia Ahern and Jodi Picoult, I rarely read adult chick-lits, that is why this story plot came across as something witty, carefree and interesting. However, as much as I enjoyed the story plot, there were several things lacking.


Debatable plot:

1. The story was more focused on the budding romance between Nikki and Dallas than on the case itself. Yes I adore romance, however I do also enjoy a good thriller. In my opinion, the homicide case was not intriguing enough for me to find out who the real murderer was.

2. This was the first time I came across a book where I was more interested in the secondary love story. To me, the history between Tony, Dallas' brother and LeAnn held a much more significant meaning than Dallas and Nikki themselves. It was one of the reason that kept me going. Yet, I was slightly disappointed by how it played out, I was build with so much anticipation and I was unsatisfied by the ending. I do wish LeAnn and Tony will have their own story.

3. There were too many sub-stories that made the story seemed 'crammed'.

But I still enjoyed the book:

1. Nevertheless, I think this book deserved 4 stars because I like the characters. I like when Tony and Dallas are together, they make awesome brothers, eventhough they have diverse personalities. I also like LeAnn who buried so much hurt and Nikki who is strong and independent.

2. I give the romance an A-.

3. Dallas' history with his family was heartbreaking and that's what I value in a story.

4. I like the idea of ex-framed-convicts setting up a PI agency with such an awesome name -Don't Mess With Texas. It made me think of hunky cowboys with a bad boy image.

Despite the fact that the book could've been improved in so many ways, it was still a recommended read. Looking forward to the next one!

Reviewed by,

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. I got this book for free on my nook, but haven't read it yet. This is the first review that I have read on it. Definitely moving it to the top of my list now. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!