Swirls (The Outsiders #1) - F.A.Hershey

by - Monday, January 09, 2012





Sixteen-year-old Julia finds herself leaving her London life behind to move with her parents to the Amazon jungle. 

A native descendant, she becomes familiarized with her own roots for the first time in her life. However, she never imagines she is about to discover much more than her own past but also just how crowded our little planet is... 

This is a present time sci-fi/ fantasy story about trust, friendship, love and self-discovery. 


Julia did not want to leave London and move to Brazil, but when her father's job required them to relocate to a remote area in Brazil, Julia had no other choice than to follow. Little did she know that what awaits her in Brazil could change her fate, and her destiny.

I was intrigued by the aspect of getting-to-know-your-roots. In most YA novels these days, family history has not been given much thought. However, as a young adult myself, I think it's imperative for young adults to know at least a thing or two about their roots, and that was one of the reason why I respected the idea that the book plot started off with the main character, Julia acknowledging her family history, especially when her family was descendants of a native tribe called Kanuayeds. 

I liked Swirls because it was different, it was unusual for me to read about spiritual tribes that possessed unique gifts and folklore history. Furthermore, Swirls added a new meaning to the term 'Guardian' and introduced a new concept the 'Soul sisters'. I like that the author was innovative with her story and she had created such a mysterious world that allured readers. Besides that, the writing was great and smooth and the plot build-up was climatic.

On top of that, who wouldn't fall for a mysterious handsome boy with rare blue eyes and dark hair? I was as attracted to Gabriel as Julia was and I couldn't seem to get enough of him from the book. And then there was the tribe leader, Yoji who seemed bubbly and polite, but I can't help feeling he plays a bigger role in the story.

Overall the book was great, however I wasn't able to be completely engrossed in the story because it was lacking in character development and the plot was inadequately elaborated in certain parts. I wasn't feeling the closeness between Julia and her dad, or between Julia's dad and mum, but I loved the friendship between Lola and Julia, they were the ones that I could really relate to.
I was also unsatisfied with the way Julia accepted the truth about herself, I was expecting more fight and denial from her instead of calm acceptance, nevertheless, the ending left me feeling anxious to read the sequel, it was such an unexpected turn of events.

Prepare to be Swirled!

Reviewed by

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. This sounds really good. I haven't heard of this one before. I love folk lore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you ought to give Swirls a try:) It's a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Nat! I'm reading this now and liking it. I'm nearly finished...I'm excited since there's a shocking ending. :)

    Alexandra~
    http:/www.wordsoftheworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to hear what you think of it:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Wishing you a dreamy day!